Prof. Pinar Akman
- Pinar Akman 2019. Competition Policy in a Globalized, Digitalized Economy. 3 (Fall) Competition Policy International (CPI) Antitrust Chronicle, 59-65.
- Pinar Akman 2019. Online Platforms, Agency, and Competition Law: Mind the Gap. Fordham International Law Journal 43(2), pp. 209-319.
- Pinar Akman 2019. Competition Policy in a Globalized, Digitalized Economy World Economic Forum, White Paper, Cologny, Switzerland: World Economic Forum.
- Pinar Akman 2019. An Agenda for Competition Law and Policy in the Digital Economy. Journal of European Competition Law & Practice 10(10), pp. 589-590.
- Moderator Roundtable on Consumers’ Data Rights & Competition Policy at Competition Law & Economics Roundtables, OECD & CPI, Paris on 27 February 2020.
- Invited Speaker, ‘Digitalization and Competition Law and Policy’, Istanbul Competition Forum, Istanbul, 25 November 2019.
- Training, ‘Case Studies on Microsoft and Intel’, European Union Support to the Competition Agency of Georgia: Training for Judges in Competition Law, Kakheti, Georgia, 9 November 2019.
- Invited Panellist, ‘Outdated Antitrust Control? The EU’s Response to Leverage of Market Power and Exclusionary Abuses’, European Data Summit, Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Berlin, 24 October 2019.
- Invited Panellist, ‘Digital Platforms, Data, Innovation, and Market power’, 2nd Annual Global Competition Review Live IP, Antitrust & Innovation, Brussels, 8 October 2019.
- Invited Panellist, ‘Artificial Intelligence and Ethics’, AI Tech North 2019, Leeds, 20 July 2019.
- Invited Panellist, ‘Competition and Consumer Protection Policies in the Digital Era – Need for a Paradigm Shift?’ Tenth Meeting of the UNCTAD Research Partnership Platform, United Nations, Geneva, 10 July 2019.
- Invited Speaker, ‘Competition Policy in a Globalized, Digitalized Economy’, Workshop on Digitalization and International Economic Policy: Tax, Competition, Trade and Investment, World Economic Forum, Geneva, 8 July 2019.
- Seminar, ‘Online Platforms, Agency, and Competition Law: Mind the Gap’, Centre for Competition Policy, University of East Anglia, Norwich, 31 January 2020.
- TILEC Seminar presentation ‘Online Platforms, Agency, and Competition Law: Mind the Gap?’, Tilburg University, 30 October 2019.
- Invited Plenary Speaker, ‘Central Questions about the Implementation, Application and Practice of Law’, 110th Annual Conference of the Society of Legal Scholars, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, 4 September 2019.
Dr Ittai Bar Siman Tov
- David Sarne, Jonathan Schler, Alon Singer, Ayelet Sela, Ittai Bar Siman Tov 2019. Unsupervised Topic Extraction from Privacy Policies. In Companion Proceedings of the 2019 World Wide Web Conference (WWW’19 Companion), May 13–17, 2019, San Francisco, CA, USA. ACM, New York, NY, USA, pp. 563-568. https://doi.org/10.1145/3308560.3317585.
- ‘Topic Modeling of Mobile App Privacy Policies: Improving Regulation with Unsupervised AI Tools’, Law and Technology Workshop, Haifa University (14 May 2020).
- ‘Topic Modeling of Mobile App Privacy Policies: Improving Regulation with Unsupervised AI Tools’, Privacy, Cyber and Technology Workshop, Tel Aviv University (13 May 2020).
- ‘Election Law in the Digital Age’, Faculty of Law at Bar-Ilan University (1 January 2020).
- ‘Using Data Science to Study the Impact of Judicial Review on Legislative Behavior’, presentation at and organisation of International Conference on ‘Law, Artificial Intelligence and Data Science: Challenges and Opportunities’ – Launching the BIU LawData Lab, Faculty of Law at Bar-Ilan University (17-19 December 2019).
Prof. Klaus Heine (EUR)
- Klaus Heine 2019. Künstliche Intelligenz und Recht, KI und der Mensch. Trendreport; Handbuch KI (Open Content), Kapitel II, November 2019.
- Klaus Heine 2019. KI und Recht: Neue Formen der Data Governance. Handelsblatt Journal, October 2019.
- Klaus Heine and Shu Li 2019. What Shall we do with the Drunken Sailor? Product Safety in the Aftermath of 3D Printing. European Journal of Risk Regulation, Vol. 10(1), pp. 23-40.
Presentations and guest lectures
- On 25 February 2020 Klaus Heine gave a lecture at the University of Groningen. The lecture focussed on 3D printing as an example of disruptive digital technologies and the non-applicability of incumbent product liability law.
- On 12 February 2020 Klaus Heine gave a presentation on ‘Legal Consequences of Digitalisation’ in the panel ‘ Digitalisation and Society’ at the occasion of the workshop ‘Technical University Delft meets Erasmus University Rotterdam’.
- On 19 November 2019 Klaus Heine took part in an expert panel at the occasion of the European Commission’s celebration of ‘30 years of Jean Monnet Activities: EU Studies in the digital age’ which took place in Brussels.
- On 11 November 2019 Klaus Heine gave a seminar presenting his research on artificial intelligence, big data, legal personality, technological disruption and the law as visiting professor at the Centre for Business Law and Practice (CBLP) at the University of Leeds.
- On 31 October 2019 Klaus Heine took part in Perfect Match – A Flirt with Science at the FUTURIUM in Berlin. He debated with the public about new ways of regulating AI.
- On 29-31 August 2019 Klaus Heine and PhD-candidate Shu Li visited the World Artificial Intelligence Conference in Shanghai. The WAIC is the most authoritative conference on AI and Big Data in the world. Klaus Heine gave a keynote in the WAIC’s Legal Forum. The topic of his keynote was “The Quest for Data Governance”.
- On 30 August 2019 Klaus Heine was invited to present and to discuss his research in a seminar at KoGuan School of Law, Shanghai Jiao Tong University; invited by Professor Ji Weidong, President of the China Institute for Socio-Legal Studies. The seminar gave the participants the opportunity to have an in-depth discussion about the future governance of AI and Big Data.
Prof. Oren Perez (BIU)
- Oren Perez 2020. Collaborative е-Rulemaking, Democratic Bots, and the Future of Digital Democracy. Digital Government: Research and Practice, February 2020, Article No: 8.
- Yifat Nahmias, Oren Perez, Yotam Shlomo, and Uri Stemmer 2019. Privacy Preserving Social Norm Nudges. Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review, Vol. 26 (4 September 2019). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3447857.
Dr Ayelet Sela
- Ayelet Sela 2019. e-Nudging Justice: The Role of Digital Choice Architecture in Online Courts. Journal of Dispute Resolution, Vol. 2019, Issue 2, pp. 127-163.
- David Sarne, Jonathan Schler, Alon Singer, Ayelet Sela, and Ittai Bar Siman Tov 2019. Unsupervised Topic Extraction from Privacy Policies. Companion Proceedings of The 2019 World Wide Web Conference, pp. 563-568. Available at SSRN: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3376558.
- ‘Remote Hearings in the Wake of Corona Virus’, Remote Litigation Academia-Judiciary Forum, via Zoom (April 2020).
- ‘Digital Platforms as Regulators: Norm Setting, Dispute Resolution, and Enforcement’, panel presentation at the Conference on Digital Governance, Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands (January 2020).
- ‘Diversity by Design: Improving Access to Justice in Online Courts with Dynamic Court Interfaces’, paper presentation at the International workshop on Courts and Diversity, College of Law and Business, Ramat Gan, Israel (January 2020).
- ‘Unsupervised Machine Learning of Mobile App Privacy Policies: Topic Extraction Techniques Reveal Content and Structure Patterns’, paper presentation at Law, AI & Data Science: Challenges and Opportunities, Bar Ilan University Faculty of Law (December 2019).
- ‘Online Courts: Setting the Stage’, panel presentation at ‘Courts in the Digital Era’ Seminar, Bar Ilan University Faculty of Law (October 2019).
- ‘From user-friendliness to decision-support: evaluating the effect of digital choice architecture on access to justice in online courts’, ODR Forum 2019, National Center for State Courts, Williamsburg, VA, USA (October 2019).
- ‘Making Sense of Mobile App Privacy Policies: Unsupervised Machine Learning Topic Extraction Techniques Reveal Content and Structure Patterns’, paper presentation at TILTing 2019: ‘Regulating a world in transition’ at Tilburg University, the Netherlands (May 2019).
- ‘Court 2.0: Institutionalizing Online Court Proceedings in Israel’, 5th Annual Meeting of ICON-S (Israel), College of Management, Israel (March 2019).
- ‘The New Courts: Judicial Online Dispute Resolution’, Israeli Ministry of Justice Senior Management Forum, Tel Aviv, Israel (February 2019).
Prof. Evert Stamhuis (EUR)
- Evert Stamhuis 2020. Vlug en lenig? De theorie en trade-offs achter innovaties bij de hoven [Quick and agile? Theory and trade-offs behind innovations in appeal courts]. Rechtstreeks 2020, nr. 1, pp. 91-96.
Dr Konstantinos Stylianou (Leeds)
- Konstantinos Stylianou 2019. Apple v Pepper: the unintended fallout in Europe. Journal of Antitrust Enforcement 7.3, pp. 457-465.
- Konstantinos Stylianou and Nic Carter 2019. Calculating Cryptoasset Market Shares. Journal of Competition Law and Economics 15.4.
- Konstantinos Stylianou 2019. What can the first blockchain antitrust case teach us about the crypto-economy?. Harvard Journal of Law and Technology Digest.
- Quote: Coronavirus Crisis Accelerates CBDC Race, Cash No Longer Untouchable, CoinTelegraph, 10 April 2020.
- TV Interview: Press TV, Economic Divide, Episode on ‘Bitcoin’, 19 March 2020.
- Quote: Libra Seen as Threat to National Currency Sovereignty, Pleads With G-7, CoinTelegraph, 19 September 2019.
- Appointed Member of the Lawmaking Commission on the Modernization of Competition Law convened by the Greek Government in 2020.
- Delivered training at the Hellenic Competition Commission as part of their Staff Training Series, Athens, Greece, 14 November 2019.
- Invited speaker 2nd OECD Global Blockchain Policy Forum, Paris, France, 12-13 September 2019.
- Appointed Member of the Editorial Team of Ledger.
- Institute for Advanced Legal Studies (IALS) 4th Annual Conference, The Future of the Commercial Contract in Scholarship and Law Reform, London, UK, 11 October 2019.
- Appointed Visiting Scientist at the Computer Science Department, Brown University (USA) in 2019.